Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Back in the 'yak


I knew I needed to get back in my kayak as soon as possible after my last trip in the kayak (see older posts if you don't know what I'm talking about). Last week I R2'd the Chili Bar stretch of the South Fork American River with a good friend and we had a blast, especially surfing the hole in 3rd Threat. Fun stuff. But this week I had plans for a gallant and triumphant return to kayaking on...the Gorge (South Fork American) at 1350 cfs. Yes, the Gorge, a classic. I feel pretty comfortable on this run considering I've rafted it a couple hundred times and it was the first class 3 run I ever attempted in a kayak. Despite my proficiency with this river my nerves were on high, but I was ready to give it a go.

We had an interesting crew and I wish I had my camera with me to get photographic evidence of the R1 (in a paddle cat), oar rig with different sized oars, and two of us kayakers. It was a great day, good weather and good company. I felt good leading up to the Gorge and very nervous as I dropped into Fowler's Rock which, at our flow, is not a very challenging rapid. But I managed to ride an eddy line and get myself flipped. 3 bad roll attempts later I was upright and I was cold! The next major obstacle was Satan's which I eddied out top left and tried to ride the top of the wave into the lower river right eddy. I did not make this move successfully and was pushed left into the big hole. I, of course, got flipped but managed to roll properly and was up after 1 try. I lost my confidence though, and was a bit wobbly the rest of the way. Successful runs of Bouncing Rock and Hospital Bar (always a favorite of mine) helped ease the nerves and I considered the day to be an overall success. I'll be spending more time on some easier rivers before getting out into the big stuff again but I'm OK with that. Below is a picture of me raft guiding Satan's Cespool a couple years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment